I have been always fascinated with breads.
As a culinary consultant & chef, I went into the bread making experience on several occasions during these last 15 years starting with my mini pita bread that I used to fill shawermas, mini sandwiches, mini burger buns & a base to canapés.
- “Plain Mini Greek burgers” Link
- “Semi flat turmeric & basil bread” Link
- “Olives & rosemary canapés bread” Link
It’s a joy to start adding flavors & colors, to actually add whatever comes into your mind for an extra flavor yet without changing the recipe or the basics to still produce a good fluffy tasty bread.
- I choose turmeric, basil, Rosemarie, paprika & olives, onions, tomatoes, Even black pepper, chili, lemon zest, cinnamon & brown sugar.
- I can just keep on mentioning ingredients & flavors till I don’t know when !! The sky is the limit with add ons.
My basic recipe:
1/2 kg flour,
1/2 kg whole grain flour
15 to 20 gr dry yeast
2 to 4 gr salt
2 to 4 gr sugar (brown sugar)
Paprika or turmeric for coloring
Water 400 ml (cold)
10 gr olive oil
- Mix well, cover & leave to rest till it rises (around an hour)
- Then shape ( preferably round ping pong balls size) and leave to rest on a baking tray to rise again (30 to 45 min)
180c to 200c for 15 to 18 min in oven (keep watching it)
You can also skip step 2 and try making FLAT BREAD – shape it round & thin then put on a hot round non stick pan, on a medium flame (as if you are doing crêpes)
It will slightly rise while cooking..
Dough has to be worked & mixed well.
- “Plain mini round bread Shawerma & hawawshi mini sandwiches” Link
- Related topic panini press sandwiches
I even made flat pizza sandwiches out of it
Breads – “15 years old recipe” with love ❤️